Data science: Not a real thing, or a thing not worth less than six figures?
[deep breaths] OK. The premise of this headline hinges on the fact that the head of a database vendor (!!!) wrote a piece saying data science is dead and that data scientists are little more than query writers. [heavy sigh] I think I deserve a gold star right now for all the restraint I’m practicing not to deliver a full-blown rant and turn my attention back to the Gigaom piece which I believe when they say that the scope of the role of “data scientist” varies widely. And that is, I think, a more interesting point to contemplate.
Nielsen: TV and Online Advertising Will Merge by 2020
I’m just sharing this because I’m glad we finally have a date on this grand event. I’ve been asking for it to happen for ten years and Nielson says Santa is finally going to deliver.
Five Things the FTC Will Get Tough on in 2014
I wanted to read this article but I’ve reached my reading limit on AdAge for my free account. Well, the headline sounds interesting/terrifying. The blurb I see in Feedly says the first thing is “De-Identification” and the summary remark is pretty neat. So, I’m sharing this one anyway even though I haven’t read it. And instead I’ll pop over to Adotas and check out “6 Trends that Reinforce the Need for Unified Data Collection.”
As Competitors Focus On Tech, Epsilon Is All About Services
Very interesting discussion with one of the leaders over at Epsilon. They talk DMPs, services, media, agencies, matching… a lot of stuff. I do find the service-focus to be an interesting strategy when it seems that everyone including some agencies are shifting to try to become more product-focused due to the lower overhead and recurring revenue streams.
Oracle Dives Deeper Into Paid Media With Partner API Program
Another trend that seems to be very big among platform providers is the development of partner API programs and development ecosystems. Oracle has just announced theirs and Google is expanding their apps partner program as well.
One Last Blast:
- Privacy Groups Challenge Facebook’s Purchase Of WhatsApp
- Newly Updated “Inbox Pause” Utility Lets You Check Email On Your Schedule, Not Theirs
- A Look At Lumus, The Amazing Lens Technology That Is Going To Change Wearables
- Together, Spotify And Echo Nest Want To Build The Facebook Connect Of Music
- Study Shows Why It’s Worth Your Employer’s Money To Buy Everyone Walking Desks
- Facebook will finally roll out a News Feed redesign
- MEDIA VOICES: Hearst’s Native Ad Approach Starts with Clear Branding
- Hispanics Rely Heavily on Digital Devices for Local Shopping
- Vimeo sticks to its no-ads approach
- Brands’ Organic Facebook Reach Has Crashed Since October: Study
- DataXu Adds Video To Private Exchange Capabilities
- Spotlight On Search: Yahoo! Gemini Vs. Google Enhanced Campaigns
- The Data Machine
- Don’t Fix RTB